Several dead in Kongsberg after man shoots people with bow and arrows near Oslo
Multiple people have been killed and others injured by a man who attacked them with a bow and arrows in the Norwegian town of Kongsberg, police say.
The suspect was apprehended after the attack on Wednesday night in the town, which is 50 miles south-west of the country’s capital, Oslo.
“The man has been apprehended … from the information we now have, this person carried out these actions alone,” said police chief, Øyvind Aas.
“Several people have been injured and several are dead.”
He added that there were “several crime scenes” but did not confirm the exact number of people killed or injured in the attack in the town of 28,000 residents.
Norway’s minister of justice and public security, Monica Maeland, has received updates on the attacks and was closely monitoring the situation, the ministry said.
Show latest update
The bow and arrow attack that killed four people in Norway happened on the eve of a new government taking power in the country.
Outgoing prime minister Erna Solberg told reporters that the mass murder, rare in Norway, would not affect that handover and the new prime minister would be sworn in as planned, according to NPK.
The incoming prime minister Jonas Gahr Støre has been informed of the situation, she said.
Justin Vallejo13 October 2021 22:10
Erna Solberg tells reporters that it is too early to identify a clear motive for the “gruesome” attack that left at least four dead and more wounded.
Speaking at a press conference, the Prime Minister of Norway said officers would remain armed until further notice, Norwegian Public Broadcasting reported.
The suspect has been transported to a police station in Drammen, about 40 miles east of the attack in Kongsberg.
Justin Vallejo13 October 2021 22:00
Erna Solberg said at a press conference the bow and arrow attack in Norway is “shocking”, according to NRK.
She said the man has been taken to a police station in Drammen but he had not yet been questioned by investigators, who are still working to determine if the attack was an act of terrorism.
At least four people have been killed, with more injured.
Justin Vallejo13 October 2021 21:52
Authorities are still looking into whether the bow and arrow attack was an act of terrorism after police apprehended the suspect in a “confrontation”, according to Norwegian Public Broadcasting.
The attack began about 6.10 pm local time in Kongsberg, an hour outside of Oslo, and ended at least 30 minutes later.
Police believe the man acted alone.
Justin Vallejo13 October 2021 21:38
The outgoing prime minister Erna Solberg and justice minister, Monica Mæland, are expected to hold a joint press conference shortly to discuss the attack, according to local broadcaster NRK.
The outlet is reporting at least four have been killed in the attack.
Justin Vallejo13 October 2021 21:32
“I can confirm that there has been a serious incident in our Coop at Kongsberg,” spokesperson Silje Alisø told VG.
She said that none of their employees are physically injured.
(NTB/AFP via Getty Images)
Graeme Massie13 October 2021 21:17
The country’s police directorate said it had immediately authorised all officers, who are normally unarmed, to arm themselves with weapons.
“This is an extra precaution. The police have no indication so far that there is a change in the national threat level,” the directorate said in a statement.
Graeme Massie13 October 2021 21:10
“This is a gruesome incident, there is nothing else to say. Now we must try to take care of the inhabitants as best we can,” town mayor Kari Anne Sand told TV 2.
She said that the attack took place in the Vestiden area, which has housing, shops and a university campus.
Graeme Massie13 October 2021 20:59