However, a potential allowance for player families would ease mounting worries that some will refuse to travel, having already been subject to some of the strictest bubble arrangements in elite sport.
When quarantine arrangements and provisions for families are confirmed by the weekend, England players will then make individual decisions on their participation before the Ashes squad is announced in the first week of October.
A host of players are understood to be uncertain about travelling, although Stuart Broad recently said he “would be happy to get on a plane to Australia”.
Britain this month sent four million Pfizer/BioNTech vaccines to Australia, and the ECB is hopeful that good relations between the countries will help.
After 18 months in biosecure environments England’s players have stressed the need for their families to be allowed to travel to Australia, with the ECB stating that “the integrity of the Ashes is going to be paramount”.
“We need to go through to get the assurances that we need to be comfortable, that our players can get on the plane to Australia and feel confident that they can be at their best and they can perform at their best,” ECB chief executive Tom Harrison said last month. “Those assurances have been highlighted to Cricket Australia. They’re taking it very seriously. And they understand the issue at hand.”
England players also involved in the T20 World Cup in the United Arab Emirates and Oman – for which they depart on October 8 – face the prospect of being away from home for almost four months.
The bar on entry to all British nationals was on the agenda when Mr Johnson met Mr Morrison for dinner in Washington on Tuesday evening.